Thursday, November 18, 2010

Excerpt #3

Diamondpaw shuffled around before heading to see Firestar, Firestar greeted him with a flick of his tail, “You seem anxious, is everything ok?” Firestar asked, “I was wondering if there was something I could do,” Diamondpaw asked shuffling a paw on the ground, stirring up some dust, “Well, tomorrow you start your apprenticeship, tomorrow we will pick you a mentor who will teach you how to fight properly, and teach you how to hunt,” Firestar replied, “Ok Firestar, I guess I’ll go see if Frostpaw needs any help,” Diamondpaw said, “Sure thing, have fun,” Firestar flicked his tail dismissively.  Diamondpaw spotted Frostpaw trotting in from the camp entrance with a water vole in her mouth, “You’ve been hunting! It looks like you have done well!” He said, “Umph tumph, PLAH!” She said spitting out the vole onto the fresh-kill pile, “I mean, Yes, I did very well, did you need something Diamondpaw?” She asked nuzzling the vole back onto the pile as it rolled down, “Yeah, um, I wanted to know if there was, uh, anything I could help with, I mean, if you needed anything...” He said, she eyed him curiously, “Yes, I do, Leafpool needs some more poppy seeds, and clover, would you like to help me pick some?” She asked, already padding towards the entrance.  “Of course! I would love to!” He said padding after her. Diamondpaw and Frostpaw arrived back with poppy seeds and clover, giving them to Leafpool, “Thank you so much! We were really running low,” Leafpool said flitting around her medicine cave, putting healing herbs here and there, Diamondpaw looked in a bit, there was a moss bed with leaves in the corner, she used a rock as a storage place to sit her herbs, Leafpool sighed, “If you don’t mind, could you leave now? I have a lot to do, and you’re in my way,” She said her eyes laughing.  “Sorry Leafpool, We’ll be going,” Frostpaw nodded towards the fresh-kill pile, “Come on Diamondpaw, lets get something to eat,” She said padding away softly, “Coming! goodbye Leafpool!” He said, Leafpool nodded as she walked around putting herbs away.  Choosing a mouse from the fresh-kill pile Diamondpaw sat down with Frostpaw who had chosen a plump vole.  Munching she asked, “So, what do you think about your first day in the Clan?” She asked, finishing his mouse in two ravenous gulps, he nodded, “Its great so far, I can’t wait until tomorrow when I get my mentor, who do you think it will be?” He asked glancing around at the warriors that were sunning themselves by the warriors den, “I don’t know, Goldenbrook hasn’t had an apprentice for awhile,” She said nodding towards the gold tom, “He’s kind of grumpy, what about Roseheart?” He asked, “That’s my mentor, a warrior can only have one apprentice at a time, I guess the only obvious choice then, would be Sandstorm,” She replied, Diamondpaw nodded, “I wouldn’t mind her, she seems nice!” He said watching her from where he lay next to Frostpaw, “Mm-hmm, Roseheart is the deputy, and Sandstorm is Firestar’s mate,” She said.  Sandstorm noticed Diamondpaw watching her; she sat up and started padding over to where the two apprentices lay, “Hello Frostpaw, Diamondpaw, how are you?” She asked, Diamondpaw looked at her, She sure looks strong and muscly for a she-cat! He thought, catching his look she smirked and said, “I’ve trained hard, and I expect you, if you become my apprentice to work hard at it too,” She said turning around, “Oh, I will tell Firestar that I wouldn’t mind mentoring a kittypet, besides, it would give me a chance to see how strong you really are,” She said turning around, her green eyes flashing, she turned around again and walked back over to her spot, said a few words with Roseheart and padded towards Firestar’s den.  “Wow!” Exclaimed Frostpaw, “She really likes you Diamondpaw! She hasn’t wanted an apprentice for ages!” Frostpaw smirked, Diamondpaw just laid there, staring straight ahead, “What are you doing?” She asked following his gaze, Diamondpaw stood up, Frostpaw did the same.  “Those are some nasty looking rainclouds, I wouldn’t be surprised if they head here,” He said as the wind picked up a little, Roseheart and Goldenbrook stood up and looked towards the clouds too, as did Skypaw and Teddypaw.  The wind picked up again, blowing leaves around the camp.  Rain began to pour, first lightly, then drenching the scrambling cats in seconds, Firestar raced out of his den, “Everyone, into the warriors den! We can all fit in there together!” He said dashing towards the den, Roseheart, Goldenbrook, Teddypaw, and Leafpool scrambled in, followed by Flowerfur with her kits Shadowkit and Willowkit close beside her, Blazepaw scrambled as fast as she could, next came Sandstorm and Firestar, the last to come were Frostpaw and Diamondpaw.  Huddled together, the rain poured and lightning flashed across the sky, frightened of the thunder Frostpaw, Skypaw and Teddypaw huddled next to Diamondpaw, who licked them in comfort, “Don’t worry, it won’t last long,” He said reassuringly.  Thunder and lightning crashed, the Clan cats stared out, their green and blue eyes gleaming in the already darkening night, while waiting for the rain to stop pounding down, the wind howled and leaves blew every which way, they all laid down to rest, Diamondpaw laid down with Frostpaw, Skypaw and Teddypaw surrounding him, their fur drying his pelt, the familiar scents of rain on grass drifting slowly across the camp, Diamondpaw slept.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting! hope you have
a great time looking at my blog!

Justin