Sunday, March 13, 2011

"TEoV" Excerpt #2

In the days when Elves and men lived together, everyone was at peace.  There was a women named Kalithain, she was near the expected time to give birth to her son, her husband had been killed in a fight.  As the time grew closer she left her home and went to stay at the midwives house, it took her several days, and on those nights when she slept she dreamt she would never make it.  She arrived at the midwives house where another, an elf, was in labor.  The midwives grabbed her and led her to her room.  They bustled about getting prepared.  A burst of pain hit her, she tried to hold in her scream but it let out, with a loud wail. The midwives rushed in, one at her side holding her hand, and one instructing her.  She screamed, and wailed, and finally lost consciousness.

Across the room the elf, who’s name is Daelinia, had successfully given birth to her daughter, “A very successful birth if you ask me,” one of the midwives remarked to another as they scanned the baby, “Yes indeed, this one is very healthy,” The other pointed out, “But Kalithain, poor Kalithain, what will we do with her boy?” The other asked, at this the she elf stirred, “What happened to her?” She asked, “I’m sorry to say, she died, it was a hard labor,” The midwife replied, “Who will take the baby?” Daelinia asked, “Who knows, someone who will foster him until he is old enough to go out on his own I suppose,” said the midwife, “I will foster him,” Daelinia said, “Daelinia are you sure?” The midwife asked, “I am positive,” She replied, “But you, you’re a—““An elf?” Daelinia snapped, her violet eyes flashing, “I do not care, I will foster the child, my husband has died, and I only have one child, I can take care of two,” She insisted.   “Now fetch me the child, he needs a name,” She said straightening her blond hair.  “Yes, Daelinia,” The midwife replied and left.  On the way to the other room the midwife met another and told her the news, “Daelinia is going to foster Kalithain’s boy, along with her own? What great news,” The elder midwife said her cheeks turning joyously pink.  “Now hurry along and fetch the child and take him to her,” She continued, “Yes ma’am,” The other said.  The midwife returned with the child in arms, he was quite healthy, he had blotches of freckles along his cheeks, with brown hair, and piercing hazel eyes,  She handed the baby to Daelinia, “Hello there little one, how charming,” Daelinia said, “I shall call you Cirindiel, for it means, Elf-Friend,” She handed the baby back to the midwife, “Now bring me my daughter, I must name her also,” She asked, the midwife nodded and laid little Cirindiel in a crib and picked up the girl, the girl like her mother had blond hair, blue eyes took in everything around her,  she handed her to Daelinia, “And you my precious little girl, you will be Malladryl, for it means Friend Of Man,” She handed Malladryl back to the midwife, “Now leave me to rest,” She said.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting! hope you have
a great time looking at my blog!

Justin